Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Musical Spotlight: Lana Del Rey


I still can't quite shake Lana Del Rey. My boyfriend introduced her to me a few months back shortly before her performance on SNL and I instantly fell in love. Her voice is epic and so unique. To quote another favorite and similar artists, Fiona Apple, her voice is "slow like honey."

And her name is pretty sweet too, even though it's just a stage name. In a recent Vogue interview, she discussed her stage name, saying, "I wanted a name I could shape the music towards... I was going to Miami quite a lot at the time, speaking a lot of Spanish with my friends from Cuba – Lana Del Rey reminded us of the glamour of the seaside. It sounded gorgeous coming off the tip of the tongue." She also refers to herslef as a gangster Nancy Sinatra, which I thought was the perfect description.

And she's also an artist beyond the musical aspect. She’s been making videos since she was seventeen. According to an amazing interview you can watch HERE, she started by collecting vintage video footage from different archives and setting moving pictures to classical music. Pretty cool, huh?

Lana directed and edited the music video for "Video Games," which is moving musical collage of her vintage video collection. The video was very well received my critics and me :)

I found these beautiful photos on her website and wanted to share... she's such a beauty!





1 comment:

  1. I can't quite shake this singer either... who doesn't love a "gangster Nancy Sinatra." I think I listened to "Radio" on repeat for two hours one day & loved it, even for the 100th time xo, Megs

    princess.hippie.love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please be sure to include your info so I can visit your blog as well. If you would like to follow, I would love to follow you right back! xx -holly foxen wells